Study: Cancer Misdiagnosis is Not Uncommon
Over 18,000 cancer patients are misdiagnosed every year, according to researchers at Johns Hopkins University.
The study pointed to cases of blatant mislabeling and mis-categorizing, as well as mistakes interpreting biopsy data. Other doctors cited the fact that diagnostic methods have remained essentially unchanged for the last half-century and are now outdated and fail to take advantage of advanced technology.
Doctors suggest that cancer patients not blindly trust any physician and always seek a second opinion. If you think you have been misdiagnosed, contact a Washington. D.C. medical malpractice attorney.
Cancer misdiagnosis and medical negligence
Misdiagnosis can mean either that the doctor finds cancer when there is none, or fails to find cancer when cancer is present. Here are a few examples:
- A District of Columbia woman's physician failed to recognize indications of breast cancer and failed to do necessary testing over an 18 month period. In that time the cancer developed into a stage 4 cancer with a very poor prognosis.
- A Texas woman was diagnosed with breast cancer. Only after months of painful and expensive radiation therapy did she discover that the diagnosis was a mistake.
- According to the FBI, a Michigan doctor intentionally misdiagnosed patients with cancer in order to charge Medicare for useless chemotherapy treatments.
- A Montana man contemplated suicide when he was told he had brain cancer. He later found out that the diagnosis was a mistake.
- Singer Kylie Minogue recently revealed that she had been initially misdiagnosed with breast cancer.
Cancer misdiagnosis damages
Victims of a cancer misdiagnosis in Washington, D.C. may be able to receive compensatory damages, such as compensation for lost wages, pain and suffering, loss of consortium and medical expenses. Perhaps even more important, a successful lawsuit forces the doctor to change procedures so as not to harm another patient and incur another malpractice claim.
To get the help you need from a recognized leader in the field, contact our office for a free consultation.